Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Day 83 Meat Loaf and Cherry Pastries....yum! And the trip that almost happened!

Day 83, Monday May 24 Ran 3 miles/ Total so far 129/ Miles to go 871

Gambling did not win :( Total invested so far $39 Winnings $21 Losses $18

Spent the weekend with Mrs Savage, my second mom. She arrived Friday night with meat loaf, a bag of red new potatoes and an onion (for mashed potatoes), some broccoli salad, a tray of cherry pastries, a bag of chocolate chip cookies, a cheese ball and all the fixens to make Old Fashion's. For those of you who are not of "a certain age" or not familiar with any mixed drinks other than rum and coke or crown and coke (lol) an Old Fashion is a mixture of bourbon (mostly bourbon), bitters, sweet syrup or in her case, sprite, with an orange slice which you use to coat the rim of the glass before squeezing and leaving in the drink. It is served with rocks. Pat Savage has to have her cocktail each evening and I enjoyed one (well actually more than one) too as we ate crackers, cheese and some pate and then her wonderful meal. I ate the rest of the meal left overs last night and have been munching on cookies from the freezer and heating up pastries for breakfast.....needless to say I will need many more miles to cancel out the calories form her visit which also included a greasy double cheese burger with grilled onions from Dallas' oldest drive-in, Keller's, washed down with cold root beer which Pat and ate from her car after shopping for my birthday present....4 lawn chairs and an umbrella and base for my patio table. She wanted me to have a nice space to enjoy in the back yard and had seen these chairs on sale at Big Lots. They do look good, as does the umbrella!

Saturday night, after planting flowers we also bought in new pots, and attending Saturday Mass at St. Joseph's Catholic Church, we went to Papasitos near by for Margaritas and Tex Mex. Pat left Sunday and I continued my gardening with the purchase of 4 red rocket crepe myrtles for the front yard and a couple of hibiscus to replace those that died in the freeze. I expect to enjoy lots of color all summer from my front porch. Needless to say, all the company and gardening got in the way of my running.....bad excuse but mine. I will catch up this week (InshAllah...God Willing)

Monday morning found me up at the crack of dawn at Love Field for a trip to Austin and the swearing in ceremony for those who passed the Feb. Bar Exam. Normally I try to go up the night before, but because of Mrs. Savage I did not. Unfortunately, after taxiing out to the run way the plane did not take off. We sat over an hour then went back into the terminal. They did not know how long it would take and the next two flight were full so I had to cancel my trip. Later that morning the Dean of Career Services called and asked if I forgot something? She said a student at the ceremony had told her that they announce my name as a representative from SMU but nobody stood up. I explained that I had not forgotten, but......

The entire experience reminded me of a Zig Zigler routine. Zig was a great positive thinking speaker. I used to listen to his tapes. He tells the story of being told his flight was cancelled. To the astonishment of the desk attendent he replies, "Fantastic!" When asked why such news was fantastic, he replied, "There are only three reasons why my flight was cancelled. First, there is something wrong with the plane. Second, there is something wrong with the pilot who is going to fly the plane. Third, there is something wrong with the weather that the pilot is going to fly the plane into. If it is any of those three reasons, I do not want to be up there in the plane. I want to be right here on the ground. You see, you can cancel my flight but you cannot cancel my day! It is 24 hours for me to use productively."

And so I returned to my office and my day and got a lot done that I would not have been able to do in Austin. Good news, Bad News, who is to say!

Life is Good.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had that dinner! Must be there for a Miss Savage feast someday.

    ReplyDelete