Saturday, May 29, 2010

Day 86 SIX MILES! The power of LSD

Day 86 Thursday May 27th Ran 6, total so far 135, Miles to go 865. Gambling won $2 with Weekly Grand. Gambling investment so far $42 winnings $23 losses $19

Running still in fits and starts. Combination of busy at work and fatigue. Need to get back into my rhythm of running some every day. I think I will be able to do it.

Impressed myself by running 6 miles. I realized that I have been speeding up so fast that I have made myself tired too soon. So I went back to a slower pace and increased in 1/2 mile increments instead of 1/4th mile. This dropped by overall pace to more than 10 minutes a mile but allowed me to run a little over an hour and 6 miles. I am going to stay with this approach for a while and see if I can increase mileage and begin to make up my deficit. I now consider 3 miles the minimum so that everything over 3 is "Deficit Reduction" Wish our government would consider deficit reduction a priority lol. I call my approach LSD (long slow distance) and hope that by using it I can start running 10 miles at least one day a week...talk about deficit reduction!

Friday I had planned to run in the day but I ended up with a lot of work and errands and then son Eric and daughter in law Karla came over so my run was supplanted by cooking beef stew and brownies....need a caloric reduction now to make up for that wonderful dinner with two incredible people. Unfortunately, the drama of home ownership intruded into my blissful family meal time as one of my roommates, Tim who is also a handyman par excellence, came into the dinning room announcing that there was a huge leak in the water line in the back yard. The good news is he spotted it or it would have leaked all night. The bad news....well it was a huge leak so he shut off the water. The good news, he was there and knew what to do and is fixing the leak today. The bad news....well it costs money to fix things and well it seems with an older house each month brings a new manifestation of the not to wonderful "joys of home ownership." Thinking about it today made me reminisce about life in a small posada (like a Bed and Breakfast or small family inn) in Mexico where all I own would be a few changes of clothes and where I would have a small room with a bed and night stand, which the posada maid cleaned every day. I would have fresh towels and in the morning could drink coffee with the proprietor and wander down to the town square for a lite breakfast. After my siesta I could order a nice meal with some wine or beer and retire to a book and bed. The next day would repeat the prior....my combo monk retirement fantasy....no responsibility, traveling lite, simple, simple, simple.

But for now, I am going back to reality and will spend the Memorial Day Holiday grading exams! Such is life. But Life is Good!

2 comments:

  1. The older I get, the less stuff I own, and the happier I am. The retirement Linda and I plan sounds exactly like your description. Check out some of the "magic villages" in Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! The simple life is calling me too; I just have not responded with a resounding, "Yes!" Speaking of simple...a new shower at Concan has turned into a major headache. My brother discovered that the cast iron pipes had disintegrated, who knows how long ago! Now jackhammer, PVC, wall removal, (and rebuild!) quickcrete, and many man hours will result in a new and yet simple shower...

    ReplyDelete