Monday, June 14, 2010

Day 103 Prosciutto and Fig Sandwich....who would have thought it?

Monday, June 14th, Day 103 Ran 3 miles/ Miles so far 168/ Miles to go 832

Was a wonderful day in new york. I wish I were here all week instead of having to return on Wednesday. "Summer's Lease has all to short a stay." to quote Shakespeare. I slept in late and after my coffee went to the Gold's Gym on 54th near 8th, just a few blocks away where I ran three miles on the treadmill. I could have gone further but I have promised my close friend, Charles Michell that we would have brunch and he was picking me up with a cab at 49th and 9th avenue at 1. After a quick shower and change I walked the block from our apartment at 49th and 8th and at the appointed hour Charles and the taxi arrived. Charles is a world class voice coach and has a company called the Voice Bank which if anyone is interested in making money doing voice overs, they should contact for on line coaching. He has lived in New York since moving here right after college and we share the same age and birth month. It was his and my birthday celebration that I last wrote about.

Charles said we were heading to the Village (Greenwich Village to non-New Yorkers) to get out of our neighborhood. We were dropped off in its heart and just sauntered down a few tree lined narrow streets till we stumbled upon a small little Italian restaurant with an outdoor seating area. The weather was perfect as was the ambiance and I ordered some kind of fru fru fruity drink with various fruit liquors and an open faced sandwich which had prosciutto ham and figs on that Italian bread that begins with a F that I can never pronounce.

I have patterns that I seem to follow (some would say ruts) when it comes to ordering at restaurants. I either get the same thing every time I go to a restaurant because I love it and that is the reason I go to that restaurant; or I get what I consider the "gold standard" for that type of cuisine to see how the restaurant measures up....usually for the first time I try it so I would order meat lazzannia at an Italian restaurant or Cheese Enchiladas at a Mexican, etc.; or I order something I have never had and would probably never make......hence the figs and ham sandwich was was actually very tasty and was paired with a small green salad. I ended my repast with a crisp glass of proseco while Charles ordered a cappuccino and nibbled on a few cookies they supplied. I was a wonder brunch which I followed with a nice nap back at the apartment.

After my nap I met daughter Leigh for coffee across the street at our neighborhood Starbucks. She was grabbing a quick bite before going to Proof Reading Class. Later I met a friend for Thai food down the street and a couple of beers. Soon it will be sleep time and a wonderful day will be just another memory....but Life is Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment