Monday, June 21, 2010

Day 109 Wonderful Fathers Day Weekend but I think Nolan Ryan should stick to Baseball!

Sunday, Day 109, Ran 6 miles, also ran 1.5 miles on Saturday. Total so far 185/ Miles to go 815
Did not win lottery Saturday and they did not have any weekly grands at the Exxon where I purchased my lotto ticket. May buy one today on the way to work. Gambling investment so far: $58/ Winnings $33 Loses $25

Was a wonderful Fathers Day Weekend. I love June....double goodies of my birthday and Fathers Day. Friday oldest and dearest friend, Nickie, whom I have known and loved since the 6th grade, cooked me a lobster and shrimp salad at her beautiful Lakewood Home. Over crisp Chardonnay we laughed about good times we have had over the years and conspired to visit the mountains of Mexico again soon....maybe for her birthday in August.

Friday night son Eric and wife Karla treated me and Karla's Dad, Mike, to Korean Barbecue at a local Richardson Restaurant. I love that place and it is the same one where two weeks or so before I celebrated by birthday with friends. It was a Fathers Day meal fit for a king and I left stuffed and content and mellow (helped I am sure by the Korean potato vodka I shared with Karla!)

Saturday friend, Pat Parise treated me to brunch at Cyclone Ananas, a trendy Mexican restaurant named for the founder, a famous wrestler whose half naked pictures are found all over the walls. A scotch mary (bloody mary made with scotch instead of vodka....yum) accompanied my eggs scrambled with spicy choriso (mexican sausage) and cheese. This was another late birthday lunch.

Lunch was followed by a short nap then a work out at Golds Gym at their north Dallas location with Gym Rat. Part of my routine now is to add weigh lifting to the running and Gym Rat should have been a personal trainer. We worked legs and arms and this helped overcome some of my guilt for not running on Friday and for all the meals and celebrations. Ran only 1.5 miles though, so that meant another "deficit day" i.e. a day of less than 3 miles. If I am going to meet my goal I have to reduce these deficit days and increase the "deficit reduction days" i.e. days of more then 3 miles, which I plan to do.

Gym Rat took me to the Black Eyed Pea, for a country birthday dinner. The yeast rolls and corn bread are to die for and the vegetables (fresh mashed potatoes with skins on and lightly breaded crisp fried okra) were also good. I made the mistake, however, of ordering the Nolan Ryan sirloin steak which was about at tough and tasteless as a baseball hit off of a Ryan fast ball....why do we think that fame has anything to do with quality when it comes to another field of interest? The two large onion rings that accompanied the steak and the nice bed of caramelized onions and mushrooms tried their best to make up for the poor quality of the meat....but they failed miserably!

After dinner, we decided to try out the Kings Spa. Gym Rat had never been and had heard about it. It was packed with families, mostly Korean, and most of whom were there for the night. It stays open 24 hours on the weekends and there were kids everywhere and people sleeping on mats and couches. If you are not Korean and want to feel like you are in another country you do not need to purchase an expensive ticket to the far east. Just go to the Kings Spa late on Saturday night. We did enjoy the time in the hot pools and sauna and some of the specialty saunas and the banana shake I got at the restaurant in the middle of the spa, which was open late, was very tart and tasty.....not too sweet. Unfortunately Gym Rat's mango shake was not sweet enough. Oh well, it was not his birthday/fathers day month.

Sunday I went to the Dedman Center at SMU to run only to find that it was closed and would not open until 1. So I went back to Golds Gym uptown and ran 6 miles which felt really good, especially as it was a big deficit reduction day. I hope to run at least 4.5 miles Monday.

The run and late night tired me out so I took a long nap. Of course loved talking to the kids and hearing their well wishes for Fathers Day. I was a little melancholy to no longer have my dad to call, but thought of him with fond memories. The weekend ended with a dinner of pork spare ribs at Cyclone Anayas, this time with Gym Rat. They were excellent, falling off the bone no need for a knife tender and a little spicy. The margarita with sangria swirl was as tasty as it was pretty.....and I told Dr. Atkins where he could stick it as I stuffed the chips and hot sauce in my mouth...vowing that Monday I would return to the low carb lifestyle but this was my weekend and a little splurge I could overcome. Life is Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment