Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Day 37 I'm back in the saddle

Tuesday, April 6th Ran 3 miles/ total so far: 69.4/ Miles to go: 930.6
Forgot...Saturday invested 3 more dollars in the Weekly Grand and Lotto ticket. Did not win the lotto or the Weekly Grand. Total invested so far: $9/winnings: $4/ Deficit: $5

Life is going back to normal. Everyone is gone from the Easter Bash and, other than memories and leftovers (which have fed me the last couple of days), the weekend is past. Felt much better today and hope the cold or allergies are over. After a busy day at work I went to the gym. Here is where I want to thank you readers for this blog and the impact it has on me and my running resolve. The Good News was that I went to the gym even though I was tired and really just wanted to go home and to bed. The Bad News was that when I got there and checked my locker, I did not have any gym shorts. I always keep a lot of extra exercise clothes in my car but I am not driving my car right now. Actually my car is really my Daughter Leigh's car... a little burgundy convertible Miata that I am driving now that she is in Manhattan and does not need a car. My worn out old Lexus died an untimely death a few months before she graduated and I saw no reason to incur more debt with a new car when hers would be sitting here. But this weekend with all the out of town guests to be picked up at the airport, I rented an ugly blue I do not remember what it is called Chrysler for a week since the two seater Miata has a trunk smaller than a woman's purse and I needed space. I have to return the blue bomb Thursday....but I did not transfer my gym clothes to it and so at 6:30 p.m. I had to face the dilemma of no running shorts at the gym.

Of course, first I had to pay $45 dollars for the yearly rental of a locker since they do not let you do it on line and then when I got to the locker and realized that I did not have the shorts my first reaction was "Oh gee....well, guess I will just have to go home....maybe I am not suppose to run today....what is it that the Universe is trying to tell me? Zennnnnnnnn." But then I started thinking about having to write about wimping out and how I could hear people coming up with all kinds of reasons why I could still run like "Couldn't you run in your neighborhood?" etc. Then I thought about getting back in my car and driving to a Target a few miles away to buy gym shorts or driving home and returning but I knew if I got in that car the lure of home and supper and a glass of wine would be too strong. For a fleeting moment I considered the option of running in my khakis...I said fleeting. Then I remembered that the SMU Bookstore run by Barnes and Noble was only a block from the gym and they have all kinds of SMU clothing.

So off I went by foot on my mission for some stylish SMU shorts. Of course, once I got there I realized that I would be paying SMU prices for what at Target would have been cheap and serviceable. After groaning at the prices of the merchandise I finally settled on some $34.99 (They always try to trick you with the lower than $35 rouse....but we are on to them) blue all purpose shorts which, with tax etc., ended up costing about $37. But at least I had them and so I was able to complete my run, start back on whittling down my remaining miles and get a few endorphins flowing at the same time. So the Good News is that because of you I ran tonight. The Bad News is, it cost me 37 dollars but the Good News is...I feel great and ........Life is Good.

1 comment: