Friday, April 23, 2010

Day 51 As a last resort....Singing to my Class!

Day 51 Wednesday, Ran 3 miles/Total so far 93/ Miles to go 907
Did not win lottery or Weekly Grand :( Gambling investment so far 18, winnings 8 down $10.

This week has been a marathon of a week so far with work. It is the last week of classes and I have breakfast and lunch meetings every day almost and dinner meetings too before teaching three nights. As my Dad would always say in stressful times, "This too shall pass!" I know he is right, just ready for it to pass.

Tuesday started with a 7:30 breakfast at the Preston/NW Highway Taco Diner...I have decided I do not like this place. My migas were dry and almost inedible. I was meeting with the other officers of the Dallas Bar Real Estate Section where I am Treasurer this year. We were planning the rest of the year's events, etc. Normal committee work that people do who the volunteer work that most are not willing to do...like the story of the Little Red Hen....most prefer to eat the bread once it is cooked rather than grow the wheat, harvest, grind and bake.

Tuesday lunch involved taking a law school classmate of mine and now faculty member at SMU to the International Law Section of the Dallas Bar where she was giving a presentation on Australian Litigation Law. I serve on the Executive Committee of this Section since I work with so many of our international students and I had secured her as a speaker.

Tuesday at 5 was a graduation planning meeting with the law students who are graduating this May. One of the big orders of business was to vote on what percentage chance of rain in Texas' fickle weather, would be so much that we must move the ceremony from the outdoor quad of the law school which is beautifully decorated each year, to an indoor venue at Moody Coliseum. The atmosphere was festive and the anticipation that school was almost over was electric. I cannot believe how quickly this year has passed.

In between all of these meetings was a string of meetings with students with last minute requests to withdraw from a class, or get an exam accommodation, or deal with other issues. All things that I do all the time, but this week the volume increases exponentially. By the time I taught my class at 7:20 pm I was truly tired. I could tell my class was also tired. The energy level was low and a few minutes into my lecture and Socratic questioning I was not getting anywhere. The student I had called on was just not responding, refusing to admit they were not prepared and desperately trying to scan the case for the answer to my questions when most of my questions were common sense and not found in the case....requiring independent thinking.

When I could no longer stand it, I broke out in loud a Capella singing from an old country song which to which I made impromptu lyric changes:

"I know it's late"
"And I know your weary"
"And I know your plans"
"Did not include preparing for class"
"Still here we are"
"For about an hour more"
"I need some help here"
"What do you say?"

At which point either because I had woken up some of the students or probably to shut me up, another student said, "Dean Camp, I know the answer" and he was mercifully more prepared and as the laughter died down we muddled through the rest of the class.

At this point I was totally exhausted. I had taught the night before my breakfast meeting and the bed was calling. But I also knew that the rest of my week would not be any easier. I decided I would run even though I was so tired. Thanks to this goal and the blog I dragged myself to the gym and ran three miles. I am going to New York this weekend and expect to reach my first 100 mile, 1/10th of the way goal there, where this who blog/challenge started. I am behind a little but know I can catch up as the mileage increases....I appreciate all the support. Life is Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment