Sunday, April 18, 2010

Day 47 Squashed Frogs croak the loudest!

Saturday, April 17, Day 47, Ran 2 miles/ Total so far 85/ Miles to go 915. Did not win the lottery or the Weekly Grand...Gambling investment so far $21/ winnings $8 Losses so far: $13.

Saturday morning found me at the Original Pancake House with Gym Rat. I decided to try the Eggs Benedict.....once again on the theory that I would get something I would not cook at home. Big mistake...the holandaise sauce must have come from a can and was covering the plate and the food was just not good. Gym Rat got his usual, the name of which I can't remember now, but it is basically pancakes that are smashed so thin they look like crepes that have not been rolled up. He gets a side of whipped cream and strawberries (real here, as opposed to frozen like Lucky's our other weekend breakfast haunt, now serves since they were bought out by a chain and lost the local, individual owner pride). Even Gym Rat could not eat his and left half, remarking that we would not be back. So now there are two restaurants in that category, Mi Concina and Original Pancake house. We shall see if that resolve holds out.

After breakfast I went with Gym Rat to do a little shopping. I don't like to shop and did not buy anything. He had a coupon for money off at the Gap and they were having a sale so he ended up paying almost nothing for some t-shirt he liked. I am sure it was a great bargain but I never have understood how you save money by spending money. To me, you spend money by spending money. I left him later to home for a nap. I love weekend naps, love the decadence of it.

But first on the way home, I stopped at Kroger to buy some fried chicken. I was hungry because of the bad brunch and I have a weakness for greasy fried chicken, even cheap store chicken. Kroger had 8 dark pieces (my favorite...don't like the breasts...usually dry) for $4.99. (And before you say it, yes I knew that I was not really saving a dollar by spending $4.99 on chicken that normally cost $5.99 when I already had food at my house that I could have eaten. ) On the way in to the Kroger I spied (for about the 10th time) a large pot on the sidewalk in front of the store in the shape of a frog. I had been eyeing that frog for days. It cost $45 and I kept debating if I should buy it. Taka's mascot for some reason, is a frog and I thought of buying it and putting some big plant in it and situating it on the front porch. But we have a small frog pot already on the front porch and $45 is $45 so I had been procrastinating.

Inside I went to the chicken counter. Normally the 8 pieces are already boxed and under a heat lap for easy pick up but there were no 8 pieces of dark, just mixed. I went to the Deli counter and asked for 8 dark pieces. The poor viajita (little old lady in Spanish) tried to box me 8 pieces but they were short on chicken and she only had four dark pieces. She asked if I wanted white meat and I told her no...I could see that she had 4 already boxed 8 piece mixed chicken that they were about to take to the heat lamp and I wanted her to open one of them and take out the dark meat, but when I said I only wanted dark and wanted to pay the sale price, she started picking up dark pieces from the bar b cue chicken at the deli to complete the 8 piece. Her supervisor yelled at her that those were bar b cue and I felt sorry for her and said that is ok, I would take them. So I left the store with an 8 piece consisting of 4 friend pieces, three bar b cue and one baked thigh she having ran out of bar b cue also. I also had decided that Sunday when I had more time I would return and buy the large frog pot thinking "What the Hell, why not? You only live once and that is the biggest frog pot I have ever seen!"

It was on the way out that I realized something was very wrong. I looked at where froggy had been and all I saw was a pile of broken pottery pieces and that the bougainvillea vine that someone had stuck in the froggy pot, was on its side with dirt spilling out everywhere. Some car had hit my froggy and, like Humpty Dumpty, no one could ever put froggy back together again. I was so sad. I realized that my procrastination was the reason that froggy had come to such an untimely end instead of ending up on my front porch full of geraniums or other such beautiful flower. The whole scene was surreal. No one else seems to notice or care about the demise of froggy. It reminded me of one of my favorite Mexican expressions that I got from a book of Mexican expressions....."La rana mas aplastada es la que mas recio grita" Which means "The frog that is squashed the most yells the loudest." Poor froggy.

After my nap I went to the gym for a short run....short is better than nothing. Hoping for a longer run on Sunday.

Life is Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment