Sunday, April 11, 2010

Day 40 Friday Big Hats, Boots and Pizza but no Prada.

Friday April 9 Day 40 of the challenge. Ran 3.6 miles/Total so far 76/ Miles to go 924



I took Thursday off from both running and writing. My legs were sore from running the prior two days and, not wanting a repeat of my post Easter almost injury, I decided that pacing myself was in order. I also had a dinner engagement after work and work itself was hectic.....At least this is my story and I am sticking to it! But Friday found me not wanting to miss my run but also having a 6 0'clock fundraiser at school: the Big Hats and Boots April Fools Auction for APIL - the Association for Public Interest Lawyers. This year it was going to be in the law quad. This event which has a regular and a silent auction, raises thousands of dollars so students can participate in externships helping those who need it the most. I wore my black alligator boots especially for the occasion.



So I left work 30 minutes early, at 4:30 (Friday being the one day a week I leave at 5) and ran at the gym. I wanted to round out my miles so I chose 3.6 miles as the goal. That would give me an even 76 miles total. I had another goal/motivation: afternoon pizza. Another work place hazard of my school is that almost every day there are one or more programs enticing participants with free food, often pizza. In the afternoon when I went into the large area we call the Dean's suite where there are many desks and administrative assistants, I saw the tale tale signs of Pizza...octagon red and white boxes staked on a counter....Leftovers are frequently brought here. This is the same counter that often displays candies or cupcakes, or other sweets that are given for various reasons to the school. The whole Dean's suite is a disaster area if you are on a diet because it almost seems like the administrative assistants compete for the title of Goodie Queen. Every desk has bowls of candies, mini chocolate Mr. Good Bars and Hershey's, cherry sours, tootsie rolls, jelly beans, etc. For a sugeraholic like me, it is a veritable mine field, especially in the afternoon when the sleepy 3 o'clock slump hits.

I was proud that I had bypassed the candy, but the pizza....I could not pass it up. Even though it was not hot, I still grabbed two pieces of pepperoni and ate them on the way back to my office. Of course, once the carbs hit my system the craving returned and 4 o'clock found me back at the pizza table and two more pieces disappeared...or actually will probably reappear as additions to my love handles....that is, I thought, unless I do my run. And so I did run, thanks to the dual guilt of pizza and knowing I needed to blog.

At the silent auction, I bid on a guitar and lost and on a pair of Prada shoes. I don't wear Prada shoes and have never owned a pair, but I have a friend who prides himself on his and I wanted to see if I could get a bargain and rub it in....but others wanted the Pradas much more than I did, so other than my contribution of a shrimp scampi dinner for 4 students as an auction item and my commitment to participate in the Karaoke with the professors night, my wallet remained in tact and I retired to my home satisfied that today's battle of the bulge was a draw. Life is Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment