Sunday, April 11, 2010

Day 41, Long and Fast....Pancakes and St. Paulie Girl

Saturday, Day 41 of challenge. Ran 5 miles in 50 minutes! Miles total so far: 81/ Miles to go 919. Did not win the Weekly Grand or the Lottery :( Gambling investment so far $15/ winnings $8/ Down $7 dollars. But no one won the Texas lotto so that just means more for me on Wednesday :) "Hope springs eternal in the heart of man!"

Saturday found me sleeping in. There is a luxury to sleeping late on a weekend. I was tired from the run and fun of the night before. Met Gym Rat for brunch at the Original Pancake House....a popular breakfast joint in uptown where almost everything comes with a stack of pancakes. I ordered two eggs with sausage on the premise that I usually cook bacon at home so I would eat something new. The two sausages were smashed so thin they looked more like pieces of rye bread and covered most of the plate. They tasted fine...think I was just hungry. I felt no guilt when I ate the pancakes....I was planning a long run and would burn some calories.

After brunch I went with Gym Rat to look at condos with his real estate agent. Think he has found one to make an offer on. Old complex of two story town house type apartments which have been gutted and made new with the hardwood floors and marble counter tops, new stainless steel appliances, etc. There is a main street that runs in the middle of the complex and it is lined with huge live oak trees. The place has a lot of character. Hope he get it.

Took at nap on Gym Rat's couch as I did not want to drive back to Richardson and he lives in uptown. Later I left Gym rat's place and went to the gym. Wanted to run 5 miles. Started at a pace on the treadmill a little under 12 minute miles then each quarter of a mile I increased it so that by the time I ran the last of the 5 miles I was running under a 9 minute mile pace. Endorphins were kicking in so hard that I forgot that it takes 60 minutes to equal an hour and when I looked at the time and it read 50.70, I was sad. I thought, gee, I almost ran 5 miles in an hour. Then as I cooled down, I realized that I had run my 5 miles in only 50 minutes...a 10 minute a mile pace. I was really happy.

After stretching and showering at the gym, I went to the Barnes and Nobles in West Village. I am always a little intimidated when I go in a bookstore. I am proud that I am a published author, but it is so humbling to see so many books and realize how many authors there are and how many new books come out all the time. But I also am a little sad when I go to the bookstore these days. I have this sense that I am seeing the end of an era, that fewer people will be reading books, at least paper ones, and I wonder if someday they will go the way of the 8 track tapes of my youth or just be collectors items like vinyl LP's? The times they are a changing. Students at law school these days tell me that they do not know how to write in cursive....that it is taught and then dropped early in grade school. Oh well, I refuse to feel old or live in the past!

So I left the bookstore and went across the street to an outdoor Pub. The weather was perfect. I sat outside and ordered a St. Paulie Girl beer. I know I was, in chronological age, the oldest person there by a decade (or more) but the little boy who lives in my head and drives this body around soaked in the energy and ambiance and just chilled. From there I walked to Mi Concina, a Mexican Restaurant that is too popular and tonight was no exception. I wanted to order their speciality, a Mambo Taxi, which is a margarita with a swill of sangria. Unfortunately, it was so loud that the bartender thought I said mango margarita (something about me and mangos these days) and I did not correct him when he came. About 30 minutes later and after the margarita was gone, Gym Rat met me. I just had water with my meal. Gym Rat does not drink and I usually do not drink when I am with him. One margarita on top of the St. Pauli Girl was more than enough. We ate so so mexican food and had to almost yell to understand each other. We made the decision never again would we go to that restaurant.

Went to bed after the dinner. Content that this had been a good day! Life is Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment