Monday, March 15, 2010

Day 14, 2 1/4ths mile LA Richardson Style

Day 14, Ran 2.25 miles/ Total miles so far - 33/ Miles to go 967

I like massage. I have to admit it. I started getting massages when I first started training for my first marathon when I was 32 years old. I was running so many miles and my legs were so sore. A friend suggested a massage. I was reticent at first. Not sure I wanted anyone to touch me and wondering if it was like an X rated movie...massage parlor, etc. But my friend convinced me that true massage was on the up and up and I gave in. I found some special massage therapists in Austin in those days...the 1980s. One did what is known as Shiatsu. It is a deep pressure massage. It is not that enjoyable when the therapist is doing it. In fact, it can hurt. But after it is over you feel so good (maybe because the pain stopped). You are very relaxed and feel good even the next day.

Another therapist had a very unusual routine. He would wash my feet first in a bowl of warm water and massage them before the rest of the Swedish type massage. Swedish is the more usual massage you get at a resort hotel, long slow strokes that feel good and relax you but are not as therapeutic I have come to understand as more intense sports or shiatsu. The massage with this therapist always began with me sitting in a chair. He would bring out a metal basin covered with porcelain or ceramic and place my feet in it one at a time very reverently. He would then pour warm water from a pitcher into the basin, over my feet and then massage them. It was like a new age "foot washing Baptist" experience. For anyone who does not know what "Foot Washing Baptist" means, try google. Seriously, as funny as it sounds it was a wonderfully relaxing experience, even spiritual. The rest of the massage would leave me ready for a long nap.

Over the years I have come to appreciate pampering in all its glory. I have had a Thai massage on the beach in Pu Quet Thiland, Reiki energy massage, hot stone therapy care of a give from son Eric and daugher in law, Karla, and many more. I recently went to a conference and at one of the sessions for professionals like me, deans of students who deal with people with problems a lot. The speaker stressed the need to take care of ourselves if we wanted to be effective with others. She said too much time is spent of time management training when we need to focus on energy management i.e., the things we can do to restore, physical, mental, emotional and spiritual energy. I like that and have decided to incorporate some of that into my life.

So today, Sunday, I decided I needed to be pampered. I selfishly wanted someone to take care of me, with no reciprocity. I did something that I have thought about. I did a spa day. I went to this day spa and had, yes I did, a manicure, pedicure, massage and facial. There I said it. Why is it that men are so afraid to admit they like pampering too? How can you not enjoy someone massaging you, pampering you. At the end of the treatment I felt great. Went home, took a long nap and got up to go to the gym (the LA Fitness near my home in Richardson since I was by myself) and ran 2.75 miles on the treadmill before doing a lot of stretching and some sauna. Need to work another spa day into the routine...maybe as a reward. Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. One of the most relaxing moments of my life was in Phuket under a palm tree on the beach getting a massage. The only sound was the waves lapping the shore, the bird in the tree, and the soft Thai chatter of the masseuse to her friend. Paradise.

    ReplyDelete