Monday, March 22, 2010

Saturday 1.5 miles Old Soap Opera and Weekly Grand Winner!

Saturday March 20th, Day 20 Ran 1.5 miles/ Total so far 49.9/ Miles to go 950.1 Almost 1/20th of the way!

Worked out with Gym Rat at his gym. I know, I said that I would not go back because I had already used up the guest pass he had gotten me for this Uptown Gold's Gym, but I was going to pay as a guest. As luck would have it, the girl at the front said no salesman was there at that time ("to try to pressure me" - the unsaid part of her statement) so she just let me fill out some forms and said they would call me. The gym closes at 8 Saturdays and it was after 6 so our run was really just a warm up for the weight training. I am actually considering joining his gym even though I have the school gym membership because the cost per month would be equal to less than half an hour of personal training and working out 3 or 4 times a week with Gym Rat would be like having my own personal trainer, only much more fun because he is such a good friend and motivator (plus Catholic Guilt would have me in the gym with him to justify the money being spent!).

The work out was good. He does four sets at a high weight. I do three at whatever weight I can, which, since I broke my shoulder a few years ago and have something called "Popeye Arm" (more about that later) means my weights vary a lot depending upon the exercise. This Gold's Gym is in the middle of trendy Uptown and is peopled by the young and the beautiful. I was probably the oldest person there with the least worked out body (sharp contrast from LA Fitness, Richardson where I neither the oldest nor the most out of shape....remember the Sumos?). Rather than being intimidated though, I don't mind and actually find it motivating. I know that if I spend time there I will look better....have done it before. And because of my "Year of the Rat's ass" philosophy I could care less that others are younger and toner than me. Life is good and I am above ground. I laughed as I looked out on the sea of youth and beauty at Gold's Gym and thought of my Dad's description of a soap opera he got into the habit of watching with my stepmother, Shirley, when he was too old to work. It was called The Young and the Restless. I would call Dad and ask what he was doing. He would reply, nothing much, just sitting here watching The Young and the Shitless! Makes me smile as I think of it now

Gym Rat is also one of the reasons I started buying lotto tickets. He asked me if I had mine for that day and, since neither of us had purchased on yet, he stopped at a local Exxon. I must admit I had my misgivings. I was breaking my routine (see the blog for Day 12 and read about my system and Twinkies! ) and buying from a different convenience store. I felt disloyal. But, I was afraid I would not have another chance so I purchased the Texas Lotto ticket (I did not win) and my Weekly Grand. A quick scratch of the Weekly Grand revealed that I had won $4.00. Two dollars from the "My number was higher than their number" game at the top of the card and $2 from the "match three numbers" game in the middle. So I ended up with a net gain of 1 dollar, meaning Wednesday's lotto ticket will be free!

So now I have decided to keep track of my gambling expenses to see how much this habit really costs me. Look at the top of the posts from now own for that survey too.

Lotto and Weekly Grand spending so far $3.00/ Winnings so far $4.00/ Net result $1.00 positive. Life is Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment