Friday, March 12, 2010

March 11, Day 11, Never forget an old friend and lost data doesn't matter

Day 11, Ran 0 miles, Total so far 25, Miles to go 975

Fatigue set in yesterday. Probably a combination of the lack of sleep from the day before, the travel, the extra running, etc. I also had an early (for me) breakfast meeting with an old friend from college whom I had not seen in over 30 years. The breakfast was great, a chance to share lives and stories. One of my mentors, John Hill, the Former Chief Justice of the Texas Supreme Court, once told me "Never forget and old friend and never be afraid to make a new friend." He was right and I tried to live by that creed. I am sure Brad and I will enjoy more times together now that facebook has reconnected us.

Had to deal with being technologically challenged yesterday. My blackberry was running slower than I do at the end of a run. The annoying spinning hour glass kept appearing and it had gotten so bad that when I tried to call ATT to ask I could not enter my cell phone number because the hour glass kept coming on and freezing the phone. I really did not want to invest in a new phone, and when I am honest with myself I realize that part of that reason was not wanting to have to decide between all the options and relearn a new system. It is a phenonmenon I call the Baskin Robbins syndrome.....31 flavor choices won't allow me to enjoy any for fear of what I am missing....in the old days I had no trouble deciding between vanilla, strawberry or chocolate....it was chocolate, of course. When I eat Chocolate it is a religious experience... I know there is a God or how else could there be something so wonderful in the world?

After Googleling (is that how it would be spelled as a verb?) for cell phone repairs, I selected one near my house figuring I could go at lunch and eat afterwards....left over chicken brocholi casserole calling my name and my wallet. The nice young student at the repair office in an obscure one story office park, told me the problem was that I had not updated my software. The good news was that he did so and did not charge me; the bad news was that he erased everything on the phone in the process; the good news was that I had much of that stored on my computer at the office; the bad news was that I could not sync it because now my software was not compatible; the good news was that the surly IT guy at the office fixed my software on the office computer; the bad news was, I realized that I lost my calendar, my phone photos and any contacts that I had added or modified in the past few months....oh well, I remembered the year of the Rat's Ass philosophy and decided not be upset...but if anyone is reading this you might send me your contact information again and let me know if we have an appoitment....

By three or so in the afternoon, I was ready to crash and the coffee just did not do its magic. I went home at 6 and at some pot roast and vegetables that I had put in the slow cooker at lunch time. The dinner was good, the inexpensive Merlot was not so good (probably why it was inexpensive) and then I went to bed early....hence waking up now at 3:00 a.m. and, not being able to go back to sleep, deciding to do my post.

Going to try to run 5 miles again today...maybe my body will be more refreshed and I can do it. We shall see.... One nice thing that has been greeting me the past couple of days....blooming daffodils and hiacynths hat I planted last fall...some inside and some outside the house. An early spring awakening...Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment