Thursday, March 11, 2010

March 10, Day 10, Short Run and the Year of the Rat's Ass

Day 10 of Blog Ran 2.5 miles/ Total so far 25 miles/ Total to go 975 miles 1/40th of the way!

Seems I am writing blogs in the morning these days, for the day before. Yesterday was a typical Texas weather day. Started out nice and sunny but very quickly turned to rain and hail. The sky decided to open up and spit out ice and water at the moment I was pulling into my parking space at the law school parking lot. Sans umbrella I made the made dash to the building. I was running late and knew that "God's wonderful plan for my life" this day was to soak me as a lesson that I needed to be punctual and honor my commitments. Years of devotional readings, men's groups, Protestant work ethic sermons and other influences have fined tuned my Catholic guilt, mixing it with other strains of Christianity and other world religions so that it must look like one of those swirl cakes you always see on the boxes at the store...vanilla with a chocolate swirl. I have learned to laugh when things like an early morning soaking happen. It is just no longer that important in the grand scheme of things. I attribute part of this attitude to the realization a couple of years ago that it was the Chinese year of the Rat. With a good friend we decided that most of the things we got upset about were not worth the effort and that for this year, we would try to not give a Rat's Ass about the small stuff. It works and I decided that every year would be the year of the Rat's Ass as far as I was concerned.

Back to Texas weather. By lunchtime the sun was back and the day was beautiful. I had a hard time staying indoors and working on the mundane aspects of my job. It is spring break so there are not many people around (administrator's don't get spring break, or summers off though I wish we did). At around six I went to the gym. I decided that after Tuesday's five miles I really needed to not push too hard this time. I have learned the results of over doing it and I am here to finish, not get hurt. So I went back to the outdoor track this time.

I had decided to run 2.5 miles so I could reach a total of 25 miles, 1/40th of the 1000 miles goal. Math not being my best subject I was half way through the run before I realized that I had been calculating my laps to go assuming I needed to run 12 times around the quarter mile track, rather than 10. Quite a nice surprise and so the remaining 4 laps were not that hard. I have always been able to convince myself that I can withstand anything as long as I see an end in sight and so running those laps passed quickly. I occupied myself during the run watching a coach work with some 5 or 6 year old boys. He would time them as they raced 50 yards or so, encouraging one for trying hard and criticizing one for slowing down before the finish line. He then had them doing push-ups and other exercises. I enjoyed their enthusiasm and carefree attitude. They were having fun without a care in the world....I keep a picture of myself at about that age taped to the side of my computer to remind me that I need that child-like attitude of hope and enthusiasm. I look at it when the grumpy old cynic in me wants to color my world grey.

At home, I made a casserole out of things that I had. Broccoli, chicken breast, left over spaghetti, Campbell's broccoli cheese soup, sharp Cheddar cheese and some parmigiana cheese.....I washed it down with a nice Riesling as I sat on my front porch. I love and need outdoor spaces and when the weather is as perfect as yesterday, you will usually find me outside on my covered porch at night with a glass of wine, a candle and a smile. Come over and toast with me sometime. Life is Good!

1 comment:

  1. I would love to share a glass of wine with you on a fine Texas evening! I'm enjoying your progress and loving the side stories.

    ReplyDelete