Sunday, March 14, 2010

March 13th, Day 13 LA Fitness in Dallas, 3/4th mile, Good and Bad Italian.

Day 13, Ran 3/4ths mile, total so far 30.75, to go 969.25



Saturday began with a nice breakfast at one of my weekend haunts, Pancake House, with a couple of friends. One of them mentioned that he worked out at a new LA Fitness on Mockingbird. My other friend, whom I will call gym rat to preserve his anonymity and our friendship, volunteered that he would like to check it out. Gym rat is in is wonderful shape. The gym is his number one priority and even though he is over 40 he looks like he is in his mid thirties with a body of someone in their 20s who cared to keep a body (lots of people in college start the long road of dunlap disease....dunlapped over their belt...a disease that prompted my blog and 1000 mile challenge). G.R. and I used to work out together about 7 or 8 years ago and I must confess that during that time I looked the best physically that I ever have. I would work out with G.R. 5 or 6 times a week. It was the only time in my life that someone commented to me at a pool that I looked better with my shirt off than on. They would not say that today!



G.R. is always on my case to work out and chastises me whenever I let anything else (like life) get in the way of my workouts. He is happy for the blog...but cardio is just part of it he tells me. So G.R. and I decide to check out the L.A. Fitness near his work, a new one occupying an old SIM's department store site. The Italian, Jock, "Don't you want to buy a membership from me today?" salesman ("and by the way I want to be a policeman and my family owns a lot of restaurants, but I don't want to be in that business and I don't like Texas, but it takes too long to be an NYPD trainee...blah, blah, blah" from Mr. endless chatter, ) seemed to lose interest in us when we insisted we only wanted a one week pass to try it out. He kept saying "But with a membership you can use any of your 30 clubs in the metroplex and G.R. finally said "Why would we want to use any of those other clubs...we don't live or work near them and you told us they are all basically the same?" At that point, Jock Man Salesman gave up and gave us our passes.



Later that afternoon, we returned only to discover that they close at 8 and we only had a little over an hour to exercise so I only got 3/4ths of a mile of running in before we went to lift weights. It was fun...I like being told what to do and then being told that was good...I would have been a good lap dog, maybe an Iris Setter. After the workout we went to Magianos and ate a half order of fried calamari which was enough for a meal for two, and we split a half order of spinach salad and a half order of lasagna. Believe me, I was still full so if you ever go to that Restaurant, don't get a full order unless you want a to go box. Saturday was a good day. I did not feel guilty for my Itanlian indulgences because I had worked out! Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment