Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Day 23, 5.2 Miles Pecan Pie Picking on Me

Monday, March 23rd, Day 23, Ran 5.2 miles/ Total so far - 60.4 Miles/ Miles to go - 939.6



Busy day at work and devastating on the diet. After starting the day with a nice oatmeal with fruit breakfast, my first stumble was a faculty lunch meeting in Lawyers' Inn at the law school. The food is good, but the desserts are to die for. Fresh pecan pie with whip cream. I did not want to eat a piece. I knew it was a belly buster....but, it was pecan pie and I succumbed. I had another Lawyer's Inn meal that night for Admitted Students in the Evening Program. This time the dessert was strawberry shortcake with real shortcake...not that flying saucer looking sponge cake we all buy at Kroger when it is displayed right next to the strawberry boxes. Now you know why I ran a little over 5 miles after dinner. Makes for a late night though and a tired next day.

Sitting in Lawyer's Inn reminded me of my first year in law school. At that time Lawyer's Inn was a law school dormitory and I lived on the third floor. Years later it was converted into offices as the tastes and finances of law students changed and law students no longer wanted or were willing to share a room and shower at a communal bathroom down the hall. But in 1976, I enjoyed the convenience of living in the Law School Quad. That is, except for my roommate. He had this annoying girlfriend who lived in another state and would call very late at night to get the cheap rates. Her high pitched voice screeching "Is Karl there?" in the middle of the night I can hear to this day. For some reason, I was always the one answering the phone it seemed. I can't remember now if that was because there was only one phone and it was on my side of the room or if Karl was just a heavy sleeper. In any event, this went on for two semesters until I got married and moved across the street to Hillcrest Manor (described in an earlier blog).

The most bizarre inconsiderate act by Karl involved a week when this girlfriend just showed up, expecting to stay in the dorm room. The rooms were small with two twin beds. Neither she nor Karl had told me of her visit nor asked if she could stay. Unlike the old TV Show with John Ritter, Three's Company, I had no desire to share the room with them and fortunately a friend down the hall had an extra bed since his roommate had dropped out. My friend let me bunk in his room that week. Karl never said a word. No thank you or I am sorry or I appreciate your understanding....nada, zip. I lost track of Karl after that first year and have never seen him at any reunions. If he married that girl then perhaps he got his just rewards and that would be a sufficient punishment in my eyes to cover his transgressions against me!

Oh and the food back then in Lawyer's Inn could not compare to the fare today that keeps tempting me to indulge....

Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment