Monday, March 22, 2010

Day 21 Ran 5.3 miles - "To err is Human"

Sunday, March 21st, 21st day of the challenge. Ran 5.3 miles: Total so far 55.2 miles: Miles to go 944.8



Sunday morning found me and Gym Rat at a favorite breakfast haunt, Lucky's. Lucky's is an eclectic old fashion diner. It has been bought by a restaurant chain and is not quite what it once was (frozen strawberries now instead of fresh on the pancakes). But it is still very popular, especially on Sundays for brunch when people line up out the door. It is a Cheer's type of place where everybody knows our names. We are greeted by the gentle giant bear of a host, David. We have our waiter and our table and usually have to stand and drink "serve yourself" coffee for the 10 to 15 minute wait for the table. There are a couple of televisions where you can sometimes follow a tennis game. I felt adventuresome and ate a pecan Belgian waffle with bananas on top (one fruit that the new owners can't skimp on by buying in frozen bulk).



Brunch was followed by a wonderful time at the matinee at Theatre Three with good friend, Tatiana. The play was a British farce and I was surprised and happy to see another friend, Ginger Goldman, in one of the lead roles. She and I had been through four levels of improv comedy classes together years ago. She is a fine actress and I just act up, but seeing her brought back good memories. The stage for this play, consisted of three bedrooms at differing levels where all the action takes place, mostly British banter, dry humor and sarcasm as only the British can create out of our common language.



After post play coffee at the Starbucks down the street from the theatre with Tatiana, I went to the SMU gym. I really did not want to go....once again knowing I would be called upon to account for my running on this blog spurred me on. Once there I ran on the treadmill. The prior night's cold front had ushered in snow for the first day of spring making running outside not an option. (I know, people run in the cold and I have, but I did not want to last night and I didn't have too!) When the adrenaline rush kicked in I knew I could run an hour and I did. Sunday was a good day.

Oh, and the title line about "to err is human"? As I was running my mind wondered to wonderful stories that my Dad used to tell. He was a meat salesmen for a company that sold expensive meat of not always the best quality, or so he would tell me. (Probably the source of his "Be thankful for your problesm, they create your job" advice he always gave). As a result, his customers were always mad at him when he would arrive on a sales calls. They loved him, but not his meat. He had to cultivate loyalty in the face of his product's quality. One time a new salesman who had been sent to travel with my Dad for a week to see how the business was done, quit after three days saying "I can't do this....everywhere you go people are mad at you!"

Anyway, one time when Dad's company had delivered some bad hamburger meat to a Whatabuger restaurant,the manager, who was in the attic of the old traditional A-frame building, was really telling Dad off about how bad the meat was and the delimma this was creating, etc. Dad stood at the bottom of the ladder that Bill, the manager was standing on as he looked for supplies. After the tirade, Dad looked up at Bill, seeing Bill's face stained with sweat from the 100 plus degree heat of the attic, Dad said "Bill, I only have one thing to say." "What's that, Cameron?" Bill replied. Dad retorted, "To err is human, but to forgive is divine." There was a critical moment of silence after Dad's volley. It was a calculated guess that humor was the solution. Bill wanted to remain angry, but looking at Dad's silly grin, after delivery of the ridiculous line, Bill could not stay angry at this crazy man he loved to see each week. "You are crazy, Cameron" was all he could say, but the mood had changed. Life was good again.

I have never had the guts to try Dad's line on someone who was mad at me....maybe I should. If you do, let me know how it works! Life is Good!

1 comment:

  1. Wish I could have joined you two at Lucky's!! Can't wait to see you for Easter, Dad.

    <3 Leigh

    ReplyDelete